Tuesday, December 29, 2009

2009 in Review

DSC_0027

When I think back on 2009 the main theme that comes to mind is pregnancy/baby.  It pretty much consumed me.  Mark and I decided that in January we would try to get pregnant with baby number 2.  Luke had turned two in September and we felt ready. But we decided to wait until January because we thought it would be super easy to get pregnant like it was with Luke and I would get pregnant the first month and have the baby in October and my children would be basically three years apart and both have fall birthdays.  My perfect little scenario that I concocted in my head.  Things didn’t go as planned (imagine that!!) so here is a little recap of the year:

January: Officially start trying.  Had a chemical pregnancy at the end of the month. (The pregnancy test was faintly positive one day and negative the next.)

February: Not pregnant.  Turned 30!! 

March:  Pregnant!! Yay.  First positive test was on March 26. 

April:  April 20—I noticed a tiny amount of spotting.  I was 7 weeks pregnant.  Went to doctor on April 21 for ultrasound.  Baby had strong heartbeat but was measuring a week behind.  Progesterone was low so they put me on progesterone supplements.  Came in 1 week later (April 28) for follow-up.  No heartbeat

May: May 5—had D&C for miscarriage.  Doctor said to wait 2 cycles before trying again.  Went to Disney World May 13 through 20.  Had so much fun watching Luke experience everything.

IMG_2419

June: Waiting to try again.  Mark turned 34! 

July:  Start trying again for baby number 2.

August: Pregnant!! I tested positive on August 5 several days before I was even supposed to test on a test from the dollar store.  (I had read online they were actually good).  Started progesterone right away as a precaution.  Went to doctor several times and everything looked good.

DSC_0023

September:  Luke turned 3!  He started Mother’s Day Out at a new school.  I saw the doctor and everything still looked good.

DSC_0106

October: Hooray—I am in the second trimester!  Mark and I went to the U2 concert in Dallas and had a wonderful time and we also took Luke to Day Out with Thomas during the month.  I cried like a huge nerd due to all my pregnancy hormones. 

DSC_0052

November: Found out we are having a boy on November 19!  We are so excited.  I finally stopped throwing up every day during this month.

December: I will end 2009 one day shy of being 25 weeks pregnant.  Luke has made tremendous progress with potty training this month.  Had a wonderful Christmas with family.

Well, there you go.  2009 in a nutshell.  I’m so thankful for this baby that is kicking me more and more each day (and Mark finally felt him on Sunday!). My kids will be 3 years and 7 months apart instead of 3 years like I planned.  I have to keep reminding myself that 7 months is not a big deal in the grand scheme of life.  Shauna and I are exactly 4 years apart and I don’t know anyone that is closer to their sibling than we are (except maybe Mark and David).  I know God’s plan is infinitely better than my plan. 2010 will bring a lot of changes to our family and I can’t wait!

6 comments:

Mrs. Colleen Ford said...

Very cool look back at 2009! I am so happy for you that things are going well! Children are an amazing blessing!

Stephanie said...

Loved the year end recap. I am so sorry for all of the stress that the early part of the year brought. Like you said, God's plan is always better than ours. We can't wait to meet the new little guy!

Anonymous said...

loved your review...you have inspired me!!

Tom said...

Wow! Thanks be unto God for His grace and mercy. Who promises to never leave us or forsake us. I am looking forward to 2010. I am so proud of Luke and can't wait to meet Ethan. Love, Nana

David James said...

It was definitely an eventful year. I know 2010 will bring BIG joy in a LITTLE 5-8 pound present. Can't wait!

Shauna Lynn said...

Geez... that's a lot of pregnancy tests. I still have one unused one just in case you want to use it. I'm glad that 2009 goes out on a high note... can't believe April will be here in no time and we'll have two tiny new babies.