Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Big Boy Bed and Other News

Well, we finally did it.  We turned Luke’s crib into a toddler bed on Saturday afternoon in time for his nap.  He has done WONDERFULLY with the transition.  He is still such a good sleeper and he hasn’t gotten up in the middle of the night or anything.  The first morning, I heard him on the monitor saying, “I want my Mama” and so I went to get him and he was standing with the door open ready to start the day.  That afternoon we went and bought the childproof doorknob covers so he couldn’t get out.  But I was so proud of him for waiting at the door.  We are so thankful he has adjusted so well.  He loves the bed.  He showed it off to Uncle David twice when he came over last night.  Grammy is sewing him a Thomas pillowcase and sheet because I couldn’t find what I wanted in the store.

   DSC_0007-1DSC_0001-1

Mark and I are dealing with some sad news this week.  We learned yesterday that I had a miscarriage.  We had gone in last week for an ultrasound and the baby was measuring about a week behind but had a strong heartbeat (189).  We were concerned, but hoping for the best and trusting God.  We went in yesterday and found out the baby did not have a heartbeat anymore and was still measuring 6 w 1 d (even though I was 8 weeks pregnant) and must have died shortly after our appointment the week before, because that is what the baby was measuring then.  I know a lot of people are really private about this kind of thing, but I am not.  It’s just not me.  We had already told a lot of people about this pregnancy.  I have a lot of emotions—confusion, sadness, anxiety.  It’s still really hard and it is all I can think about.  I will have a D&C on Tuesday and I feel like I will be more able to move on once that is done.

I am still trusting God with all of this.  I know He does not make mistakes and I know he has a good plan for my life.  I did a lot of growing in my faith last week when we were concerned there might be a problem.  I am learning to trust God no matter the outcome.  I am such a control freak.  I HATE not having control.  But I have absolutely no control over this.  I had everything planned in my head—kids exactly 3 years apart, both born in the fall, etc….But that is just not the way it is going to work out.  It was so easy with Luke, I assumed it would be the same.  At best, our kids are going to be 3 years 7 months apart.  That was just not what I had planned.  But I KNOW that God’s plan is much better than my plan.  I really do know that.  I forget it sometimes and try to control everything but I truly believe that God knows exactly the right time for me to have another child and my children can be good friends no matter the age difference and my child will do well in school no matter what month he/she is born.  It seems so silly that I worry about these things and believe me—it was all put into perspective for me yesterday. 

The Bible says we are to be thankful at all times, and I can honestly say that I have so much to be thankful for.  I am thankful it happened now and not later in the pregnancy.  I am thankful I can have the D&C before our trip to Disney World.  I am thankful we have a fun trip planned to Disney World in two weeks.  I am thankful I have a supportive husband who has been doing everything around the house.  I am thankful for such good family and friends that are supporting, encouraging, and praying for us.  And I am thankful for the most precious and perfect (even if he doesn’t eat much) little boy a mother could ever want.  I am thankful for God’s grace.

Okay, this has been cathartic for me.  This blog is our family scrapbook and although I don’t want to dwell on this experience and I want to move on, I know I’ll always remember it.

13 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am so sorry about all you are having to go through right now. I'm proud of you for trusting in God and His plan, even though I am sure that is really hard to do right now! I will be thinking about you and praying for you and Mark.

P.S. Love that Luke is being such a good boy in his bed! I wish he could teach Gavin how to be a good sleeper too.

Tom said...

This really is a tough thing to go through and to write about, but I think writing about it will help. You have a lot of people praying for you both at this time. I know that God does have a good plan for you, Mark, Luke and all future little Jameses.
I love Luke's big boy bed. He is a cutie. Love you all, Nana

Shauna Lynn said...

it's so hard to give over control sometimes... especially when we can't see the big picture like HE does. my first thoughts on Tuesday were... if I could have this happen to me instead of you... I would in a heartbeat. as soon as lily is not so sick and contagious, i'm coming for some sisterly quality time.
love you.

Liz said...

Suz, I am so sorry. Your precious baby will be waiting for you in heaven, and you can have a wonderful reunion. Still, I know your arms must ache for him or her on this earth. I will pray the D&C goes well and that there are no complications. I can't imagine what you are feeling, sweet sister.

Jim and Sharon said...

I think what you said in this blog expresses the deep faith that you and Mark have in God and His plan for the three of you. I think your little Angel that touched your life briefly was a reminder to us all that life is so precious and we should savor every minute. You will never forget this experience, but by the Grace of God we will all move on to love life and each other at a higher level than ever before. May you have exceeding strength and good health only God can give that will take you and Mark out of this sad place and renew your spirit. We love you dearly and are praying for your healing.
Ammy and PawPaw

P.S. We are so proud of Luke and his big boy bed.

Laura said...

i'm so sorry to hear this...but so encouraged by your faith - so thank you for sharing even when it's hard.
i thought of you guys yesterday when i was going through some hand-me-downs and there were a bunch of "thomas" clothes :) glad to hear the big boy bed is going well - those door covers are a life-saver!!
praying for you all...

Seth , Angie, Noah said...

Suz, that was beautifully written. You've got an amazing attitude and outlook about this. We'll keep praying for you and your guys. We can't wait to hook up with y'all in DW! Let us know if there is anything we can do for y'all until then. Angie

Pat said...

I am so sorry that you and Mark are having to go through this. As you wait upon the Lord, you learn to see things from His perspective, move at His pace, and function under His directives. Your strong faith comes through in the words you have written. Please know that I love you and am praying. Let me know if I can do anything.
P.S. I am so proud of Luke. He is such a good boy.

David James said...

I'm proud of you for blogging about this. I just wish I could snap my fingers and make the pain go away for you and Mark both.

I enjoyed the multiple tours of Luke' "big boy bed." I can't wait for Disney and some quality time with you all.

Love,
Uncle David

Maggie said...

Suz and Mark, I know you are so sad right now. It is so hard to understand things in life sometimes but I do know, without a doubt, that everything happens for a reason. Hard times make us stronger and
closer to the ones we love.
I hope that you all have a great trip to Orlando. I know Jim and Sharon are really looking forward to it! I Love You.

Brandi said...

Sad to hear about what is going on; we are praying for you guys and glad to hear you still look to Him even in sad times-I know we don't have to tell you God has a plan for your family.

Love the pictures and news-I look forward to seeing big boy Luke!

Cristi said...

Suz, Mark, & Sweet Luke,
We are praying you through this time. And yes, God does have a plan. Trust Him and know that He has your family in His hands.

Love ya'll, The McAnelly's

Anonymous said...

we are here for you and praying. thank you for letting us be there for you during this.

yea for luke a big boy bed...maybe he can teach drew all about it!! =)