We got an early start this morning since Saturday was the final day of our trip and we still had a lot of Boston left to see. I walked across the street and grabbed Dunkin' Donuts for us for breakfast and brought it back to our room. It wouldn't be too much of an exaggeration to say there is a DD on almost every corner in Boston. There are more than 90 of them in downtown Boston. A lot of times you can be standing in one and look up the street and see the next one. I wish Austin had more than the little lonely one on 183.After checking out of the hotel, we headed over to Boston Common around 9 a.m. and spent most of the morning walking around the park and the Beacon Hill area. We walked over to the Esplanade on the Charles River to see the area where the Boston Pops plays their annual July 4th concert.
At 11 a.m. we went on the Boston Movie Tour. Suzanne read about this tour before we even left for the trip. I'm so glad we did it. It was so fun! A guide gave us a two and a half hour walking/bus tour of the sites where movies set in Boston were filmed. A lot of the tour focused on filming locations from Good Will Hunting and The Departed (but also included The Firm, Legally Blonde, Mystic River, Ally McBeal and Boston Legal). We played movie trivia along the way and Suzanne blew all the competition away. She didn't win the t-shirt though because she refused to dance on the bus to Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch's "Good Vibrations." (Mark Wahlberg is a "Southie" so that was the tie in to the tour.)
One of the stops was the L Street Tavern located in South Boston which was shown a few times in Good Will Hunting. Here's a photo of Suz at the table where Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Casey Affleck and others sat in a few scenes.

After the tour, we followed the Freedom Trail through most of downtown Boston and saw some of the buildings and sites related to the Revolutionary War.
By 5 p.m. our feet were hurting so bad we decided to call it a day. As we rounded the corner near our hotel, we saw that about five city blocks were shut down for a movie filming. Turns out they were filming The Surrogates with Bruce Willis. We saw him (or at least his bald head) from a distance. There were crashed cars and people laying in the street for the scene they were shooting.
We drove an hour back south to the sleepy town of Providence, Rhode Island, so we can catch our early morning flight on Sunday.
We've had a great time, but we're ready to see Luke and be back in our own bed.
3 comments:
Wow! I don't think you could have squeezed anything else into your trip. We have missed you and are ready for you to come home. Have a safe trip. Love, Mom & Dad
Suzanne: How many times did Mark go to the window of the L Street Tavern and yell, "How 'bout them apples?" My guess it four, maybe five times.
:-)
I know you had a blast. I'm so glad you all took the time to get away.
David
I am so glad the 2 of you got to do the Movie tour of Boston. I think Boston is a pretty neat place. I am glad that the 2 of you were able to take a trip together. I am glad ya'll are back safely and thanks for letting us keep Luke. Love you, Nana
Post a Comment