Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Day 2: JFK, Harvard and Maine Lobster

We're having a great time! On Wednesday morning we headed to Columbia Point in Boston and visited the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum. It's in a beautiful building designed by I.M. Pei that is right on the Boston Harbor. We watched an intro video on JFK's early career and then spent about two hours walking through the exhibits--including replicas of the Oval Office and the White House/West Wing corridors.

We then headed over to Cambridge and parked in Harvard Square where we ate lunch at Legal Sea Foods. We had their clam chowder which is supposed to be the best clam chowder in the country. After lunch, we walked through Harvard Square and walked around the Harvard campus. [Never too early to do some college scouting for Luke. :-)] We joined a campus tour for a while and got to see the dorms where Matt Damon and Natalie Portman lived while they were students.

At 3 p.m. we hit the road so we could make it to Portland, Maine, (2 hours away) in time for the conference welcome dinner that evening. In less than thirty minutes we went from Massachusetts then through New Hampshire and into Maine. The weather in Maine was about 15 degrees cooler than Boston. It was actually cool at 5 p.m. in the afternoon. This evening we wore our fleece jackets.

We finished the day with a traditional Maine lobster and corn on the cob dinner at the hotel. We'll slow down a bit tomorrow for the conference. Suz is going to do some sightseeing during the day and then we're all headed to see a Portland Sea Dogs (the Boston Red Sox AA baseball team) baseball game.

We miss Luke every minute of the day, but Grammy is spoiling him rotten based on the reports we're getting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like you guys are having a blast...i am so glad!!

Shauna Lynn said...

fun! i like having these updates while you're gone.

Jim and Sharon said...

I sure do miss you, MaMa and DaDa. I am being good so Grammy can keep up with me. She is okay but I really wish you would hurry back home. I miss all of the things that only you can do for me. I did help Grammy water the "pants" outside.I hope you bring me something really "cool". I love you.
Luke