A quick update is all I can manage right now but I wanted to put something on the blog before I forget stuff. Ethan is 2 weeks and 2 days old. He was up to 9 pounds 6 ounces at his 2 week appointment on Monday—so he is gaining weight like a champ. Mark and I were fully indoctrinated into the world of having two small kids when Luke woke up early Tuesday morning (around 2 a.m.) crying hysterically and burning up with fever. We thought it was a lingering ear infection but after he cried all night and day off and on and was more miserable than I have ever seen him, we took him to the doctor and found out he has that hand foot mouth virus. Lovely. It is contagious, so we are trying to keep him away from Ethan and he does a pretty good job of staying away. Last night he woke up again crying and after some motrin and two episodes of Spider-Man we were able to get him back to bed. So basically, we have been taking turns with each kid. Ethan is up every 3 hours to eat—although he did go a four hour stretch the other night, which gave me some hope. Ammy came to the rescue today and I intend to take a looooong nap. Here are a few of my other memories/thoughts:
- The c-section went well. It was a little scary just because it was such a new experience. I passed out shortly after Ethan was out and then I fainted again later that day when they tried to get me up for the first time.
- This recovery is a MILLION times better than my recovery last time. I actually feel human and could get up at the hospital. The c-section was most definitely the right choice for me.
- Ethan is a good baby. He will actually sleep in the bassinet, which is wonderful. We had to hold Luke all through the night for the first few weeks. Please Lord—let this continue!!
- I’m pumping for now. Breastfeeding wasn’t working. He likes to clamp down over and over again. Once the blisters and bleeding began—I had to take a break. I’ve shed so many tears about this. I may write a whole post about my feelings or I may just decide it is nobody’s business what I feed my child. We’ll see. He is getting breastmilk for now though.
Shauna and Jeff brought Eli by on their way home from the hospital and we took a few pictures of them. It’s hard to believe they are from the same family since they look so different. I guess we won’t have any trouble telling them apart. :) I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that these boys will be able to grow up together. And it is nice to commiserate with Shauna on the phone about the newborn phase. (We’re both not really fans of this part :) )
.
10 comments:
That picture of Ethan is AWESOME. Why are you so much better at photography than me. Hope Lukie is feeling better now.
Cute, Cute pictures! I am sorry I couldn't be there for this trial but thank goodness Ammy was able to come and give you guys some rest. I pray Luke recovers quickly and Ethan stays well. I too, think the C-section was the best decision. The difference between the 2 recoveries has been like day and night. Love you, Nana
Wow! You guys are really being tested. Days and weeks like this are what make regular days so wonderful. Suz, it's good to hear that you are feeling so good. I'm so sorry poor old Luke is having such a rough time getting well. Ammy will set all things right. I have the upmost confidence in her abilities, no matter what! Last of all, I love the pictures! What perfectly beautiful babies. Love to you all. mj
That is a darling picture of Ethan. He is so beautiful and is such a good baby. I think Ethan and Eli will be more like twins than cousins. What great times they will have growing up. They will give Luke and Lily some major grief....;-)
You have experienced some of the worst of times with Luke sick and Ethan feeding every 2 to 3 hrs. It will make a normal day seem like a picnic in the park which helps you get through the rough spots. Hugs and kisses to my Sunshine Boy and Baby Doll - silly Ammy!!!
You are right - it IS no one's business what you feed him! He's gotten two weeks worth already - the most important part. I wouldn't feel one bit guilty about switching him if you need to. And I, too, am not a fan of the newborn phase!
I'm so sorry that Luke has HFMD. That seriously is the WORST. Our dr. prescribed hydrocodone for Brody and it's the only thing that brings a little peace when he has HFMD. Wow, I can't imagine how crazy it is, just hang in there. And don't worry about the breastfeeding thing, it's no one's business really. Until others have had a baby clamp down on you like that over and over, they have no clue what it's like if you don't have a "great" experience. Don't fret about others, that's their problem to deal with, not yours girl! We love ya'll! Cristi
so sorry luke got sick...i couldn't imagine. love the pictures of the boys and can't get over how much hair little ethan has. they are both so precious. you are a great momma and dont worry about other people...formula is awesome too. the doc actually made owen drink formula! do what is best for YOU to survive this experience. that's what i'd do!!!!
What a sweet picture of little Ethan! I'm so glad your recovery is better this time. Sorry about Lukie's troubles--sounds pretty rough. Thank goodness for Ammy!
Beautiful, beautiful boys!!!!! I am so happy for you all! I pray for quick healing and restful sleep. Much love, Becky
what an awesome picture of ethan!
Post a Comment