Saturday, May 9, 2009

Can’t Hardly Wait…

We are getting so excited for our Disney World vacation. I LOVED Disney World when I went when I was 15 and I cannot wait to take Luke. I can already feel the Disney nazi coming out in me. Even when we went when I was 15 and Shauna was 11, I was the uptight one trying to get everyone on board for my plans for visiting the parks. We have video footage where I’m studying the schedule and trying to figure out how to maximize our time at the parks and Shauna is basically telling me to get a life. Fifteen years later, things haven’t changed. I have purchased 2 guidebooks and spent many hours on message boards reading about different strategies for touring the parks and minimizing your time in line. I’m pretty sure the same cannot be said for Shauna’s preparation for their trip this past January. I know Shauna thinks I’m weird for planning so much and I can’t believe she is fine just showing up and not knowing the various strategies written by the Disney “experts.” I’m really not a Type A personality in general, but I am a control freak (as discussed in this post) and I am going to have to keep that in check while visiting Disney World with a toddler. I know I just need to go with the flow—BUT—it doesn’t hurt to have a few strategies ready to try to minimize wait times. :) And the best thing is—now I’m the one in charge, so I can only blame myself if my plans don’t work out.

Also, we are planning on bringing Luke’s monkey backpack, otherwise known as a leash. Shauna said she wished she had one while they were there, so I am definitely bringing it. I’m hoping we don’t get the dirty looks there that we get here. I haven’t used it in probably a year, but I definitely did get some dirty looks from people when I used it at the mall and a few other places. One older gentleman even had the audacity to walk up to Luke and say something like, “Poor thing.” It made me so mad. I wanted to ask him when was the last time that he kept up with a very ACTIVE toddler who refuses to hold your hand, a huge stroller and a large diaper bag. My guess is probably never. So, I’m willing to brave the dirty looks if it means Luke will have a little bit of freedom and I won’t have to worry about him running away from me.

Here is a funny video from earlier this week. Mom, Shauna and Lily came to visit and both Luke and Lily wanted to wear costumes.

Don’t worry—Lily was okay. She got right back on the bed and fell off again. Luckily, that Nemo costume had some padding and I think it broke her fall.

8 comments:

Jim and Sharon said...

We can hardly wait, too!!

Luke and Lily are a precious pair. They really do enjoy each other. "Two little monkeys jumping on the bed...."
Love, Ammy

Brandi said...

I'm glad that Lily was okay!! I was with you guys in chuckling and had to know she was going to be okay! Even without a toddler going to Disney-we had to play it by ear as well. We had it mapped out for what we were going to; weather and other issues got in the way--but you can surely still see all that you want to see!! Have tons of fun!!

Amber said...

I can't believe you stopped the video right there! That's cute.

Shauna Lynn said...

we didn't have internet all weekend... or lily would have been watching that non-stop. today she said 'watch lukie b's bed' then while she watches it. she laughs and says 'no jumping' and 'didn't listen to mama. I fell down and hurt yourself'.

you'll probably get way more accomplished at disney than i did. i wonder if there is a typeA-vacations only personality?

Cristi said...

I thought the video was adorable and I loved hearing Suz laugh as Lily fell. I was doing the same. And you are exactly like my sister in planning the trip. The world needs you guys for the people like us that rely on ya'll :)

Tom said...

You come by that Type A -Vaction only personality naturally. Don't you remember Dad setting up an agenda for every vacation we ever took. We got everything that AAA had to offer when we took our trip to DW. I know you all will have a great time but I know having a toddler will definetly make the trip more fun but I'm sure changes will have to made. The video was cute. If they only knew how many more times Lily kept getting back up and going again. Love you all, Nana

Liz said...

OH that makes me angry! Nate has a monkey leash, too. I know SEVERAL people who have them. Do those idiots want to be held responsible if your child is taken or gets lost in a crowd? I don't think so! I'm sorry, but I'm not surprised you get this reaction in Austin. It's a granola town with a lot of hippie ideas about raising kids (among other things). You're doing great Suzanne, don't let those jerk-offs get to you.

jjaustin2 said...

we love the monkey leash. Nate likes it to. It gives hime freedom to explore without loosing him! Keep the leash alive!