Well, first let me say that last week was a pretty rough week for the Jameses. Luke caught a stomach bug (which I discounted as teething) and the bug spread to me, Lily, Mark, Mom, Dad, and possibly Sharon (she may be in the early stages....we'll see.) I'm hoping it ends there. There has been a lot of vomit and other yucky stuff. Mark threw up for the first time in FOURTEEN YEARS!!! Needless to say, it wasn't fun and I am truly sorry that we didn't quarantine ourselves so that it didn't spread. Lesson learned. Our fourth wedding anniversary was Thursday and I spent most of it sleeping since I didn't sleep much the night before due to a lot of nasty vomiting. Luke was fine by Thursday and I was fine by Saturday. Mark is still not quite back to normal but he is getting there.
Today I decided to attend a playgroup at Zilker Park since last week was so boring and I want to have stuff to do this week. It
turned out Luke and I were the only ones who showed up. That's okay. I had a feeling that might be the case when several people emailed this morning to say they weren't coming for various reasons. I have been wanting to go to Zilker with Luke more often anyway, so this seemed like as good of a day as any other day. So we played for a while on the playscape and then decided to ride the Zilker Zephyr--the train that goes through the park and along the walking trail. Luke was having a great time until the train d
erailed about 15 minutes into the ride. Something went wrong and the train went off the track about 3 seats in front of us. It was a little bit scary, only because I wasn't sure the driver noticed and was going to stop.
He stopped the train and we all got off. He said we could sit on the train and wait for someone to come fix it. Perhaps that works for other kids, but Luke doesn't do too much sitting. He wanted to get into the car where the driver sits SO BAD. I kept having to stop him. The second time I thwarted his efforts to get into the drivers seat he began throwing the worst tantrum in the history of Luke. He sat on the grass screaming. I tried to pick him up and distract him. He would be distracted for a few seconds by a passing runner with a dog but after that he would go back to screaming. I was really embarrassed by his behavior and after about 10 minutes of this I decided I would just make the trek back to our car. It was a pretty far walk. And it felt like the longest walk ever since Luke refused to walk by himself and continued to scream for the entire walk to the car. I noticed the rest of the riders started walking too, about 5 minutes after us, so I guess the driver told them it wasn't going to be fixed anytime soon. Luke fell asleep in the car about 5 minutes after we got inside. I think he wore himself out with all the screaming.
I'm really hoping the week gets better. Surely it will....
8 comments:
Poor little fella...I have to imagine the week will get better.
I'm glad you all were able to get out and enjoy the weather. Who needs a playgroup when you have a TRAIN!
hey! sorry you were the only one to show up. we will be more organized in the future. im glad you guys still had fun and you are feeling better. tiff
geez... that sounds like a harrowing experience. i would have broken down at the park probably. this week will definitely get better.
I do hope the week gets better. All boys seem like they want to drive the train!
i am so sorry, suz...i am not sure i would have been grace-filled if i were in your shoes. i am sure drew will put me in a similar position soon...he is already very strong-willed.
hope you have a fun week!!
I think I have said this before but welcome to Motherhood. Luke definitely wants to experience everything himself. I don't think he is going to like the word "NO" very much. But who does? He'll learn and so will you. Nana
Oh how our boys are exerting their independence!
We are beginning tantrums in our house now, too. I've put spoons in every room of the house, to have them handy should a tantrum be unstoppable. So far I haven't had to use them, but boy, those aren't fun!
You're doing great - it's good for them to learn that they can't have everything they want. You're a good mommy, and don't be embarrassed by that. It happens to EVERYONE.
Post a Comment