Friday, March 14, 2008

Van "The Man" Morrison

Mark and I saw Van Morrison at the newly-renovated Austin Music Hall on Tuesday evening. Uncle David looked after Luke for the night so we could have a night on the town. Mark gave me the tickets for my birthday, so I've been looking forward to going to the concert for more than six weeks.

Van has a new album coming out on April 1 called Keep it Simple, and this was one of only four U.S. dates (Austin, Boston, Nashville and NYC) he's playing so we felt lucky to have him come to Austin.

It was a great concert--about 90 minutes long. It definitely wasn't a greatest hits performance, though; he played a lot of songs from his new album which sound really good. I'm a huge fan, so it doesn't matter what he plays. It all sounds good to me. I'm definitely going to be downloading the album from iTunes first thing on April 1. He sprinkled in a few hits like "Moondance" and "Bright Side of the Road."

If you're a Van Morrison fan, check out his new songs on his web site. My favorites: "Keep it Simple" and "Behind the Ritual."

We were big nerds and hung around after the concert to watch his limo pass by us. Of course, we weren't as big of nerds as the people who all wore their coordinating Van Morrison t-shirts. Okay, maybe it's a tie. I really wanted to buy a t-shirt at the concert, but all they had were black t-shirts with a big bedazzled "M" in red, green or silver for about $50 bucks. No thanks.

Van Morrison was at the top of my "Concerts to See Before I Die" list. Next on the list: U2.

Mark's still waiting for the elusive Billy Joel tour stop in Austin.

5 comments:

David James said...

You definitely saw a living legend. I want to "borrow" the CD once you download it. Thanks for calling and letting me attend via iPhone.

You could probably go to Michael's and make just as good of t-shirt. "M" for Van Morrison or "M" for Mark? Hmmmm. Or you could just wait for Jeannie Bice and her Quacker Factory to come on QVC.

David James said...

I should also say: Luke and "Uh-Day" had a great time. "He was an angel. An absolute angel." Thanks for letting me keep him.

Shauna Lynn said...

Thanks for calling and letting me attend via motorola razor... oh wait... you didn't ... nevermind. I'll bedazzle you a unauthorized VM concert shirt for the bargain price of 20 bucks.

Anonymous said...

glad you had fun, suz!!

Tom said...

Van has sure aged. Did he wave or anything as he passed by? I still love his music. I am so glad that you got to go. What an awesome husband to think of such a gift. I think you should accept Shauna's offer to make the T-shirt.(ha) I am glad Luke had fun, too. Uncle David is the next best thing to getting to hang with Dad. Nana